I took the last few weeks off from weekly blog posts because I was working hard on draft four of Daughter of Sorcery. And now it’s done! I sent it off to a potential publisher a few days ago, and I sent it to a few more alpha readers too. I’m really proud of how far this not-so-little story has come.
Daughter of Sorcery is now below 110,000 words, which means I’ve cut over 50,000 words since draft one. Yikes! And it’s now 60 chapters, instead of the original 84. That’s still a lot though, as evidenced by the 244 printed pages shown here. (That’s with 1.5 spacing and 0.75″ margins, to save paper. At 2.0 spacing and 1″ margins, it’s 370 pages.)
So what’s next? Well, for the first time in four years, I will not be participating in NaNoWriMo. I’m a little sad about that, but after the last two months of editing, I need a bit of a break. I will be working on writing this month though, after a few days of doing pretty much nothing.
This month’s project will be brainstorming and outlining Xera’s story (more details about that here). I wrote the first 50,000 words of this story last NaNo, but I haven’t touched it since. I currently only have vague ideas of where it’s going next. That’s what I hope to figure out this month. And if I can figure that out, then when I actually sit down and write the story, maybe I’ll write a first draft that needs less cutting than DoS did. 😛